Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spencer State Hospital



In 1885, crowding at the state mental institution at Weston became so great, that the need for a new facility was a top priority.

Two years later, a task force was able to pass legislation to build a second hospital, located in Spencer, Roane County, WV. The land was bought from William P. Goff for a sum of $9,200 and when built, the Kirkbride building measured in at 1/4 of a mile long. It was billed as the longest continuous brick structure in America, built from native stone.


The hospital opened for patients on July 18, 1893. Named the Second Hospital for the Insane, the doors opened to 54 patients...an number that would increase to 696 over the next ten years.

In the early 1920s, the name was changed to Spencer State Hospital. Several years later a 5 bed hospital clinic was added. The renovations didn't stop there, though. Starting in 1959, the roof was replaced, drastically altering the facade of the building. In 1972 Opportunity Hall, a section for teenagers, was added, followed the next year by a new administration and food service building.

1989 saw the closure of this massive monument, and in October of 1993 everything in the building was auctioned off, including patient x-rays. Before the building was torn down, strange events were often reported, including apparitions, moaning, chain rattling, etc. Rumor has it that doctors buried patients under the dirt floor and when you enter those rooms, you can feel people breathing on your neck.


Like many similar institutions, this one hosted Dr. James Freeman, who is known as the father of frontal lobotomies.  It is said that on one visit, Dr. Freeman forgot or misplaced his hammer used in the procedure.  A wooden mallet was found in the kitchen and used in its place.  Between 1949 and 1952 Dr. Freeman performed lobotomies on over 200 patients, one dying when an out of place artery was severed.

The property does have several cemeteries, dating back to 1902. A total of 750 unmarked and 107 marked graves are memorialized by a white historical sign.

More photos and information

14 comments:

  1. I have 2 wonderful photo's from my great grandmother that she saved of 2nd hospital for the insane. If you are interested I will send them to the owner of this site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That'd be wonderful! You can contact me at theresarhps@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. My great grandmother was an inmate from 1910 until her death in 1921. I would greatly appreciate any information or photo you might have. Thank You!

      Delete
    3. My grandmother lived in Spencer and I had an aunt who is admitted to the Spencer mental hospital we would sign her out as kids and take her down and buy her candy I would love any images of the hospital that you have

      Delete
  2. i think this is cool. i like stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't there supposed to be catacombs that are haunted under the current Family Health Care building? People have reported seeing and hearing things in the store some nights and the automatic doors open and close frantically, things fall off shelves, footsteps are heard where there is no one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. If anyone has any information on this, please let me know; I'd love to know more about it.

      Delete
  4. My Grandfather was sent there in the 40's for acting childish. He was beaten to death there. The state agreed to pay for his funeral etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, such incidents happened more than what would be considered an exception.

      Delete
  5. My Great-Great Grandfather was there from 1911-1942. He died of a heart attack while in the hospital. What I am not sure of is if he was there for a physical illness or a mental disorder. He had been a coal miner, so I am guessing maybe a lung disease. His death record shows he was buried on the cemetery grounds. Not sure if his grave is marked, but would hope a patient for 31 years would warrant a marked grave. His name was Theodore F Hupp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob,,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid. disease,Lupus,Lipoid Storage diseases( Gauchers disease),Polycystic Disease.,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Cirrhosis of Liver,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic,HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello.. My great grandmother died in Spencer State hospital in May 1942.shw died at age 43. Story goes, a fortune teller told her something so horrific it drove her insane. She never told anyone what the fortune teller told her. She would put a glass of water with pins and needles under her bed. She died of TB while there.I have bern intrigued since I was young by the fact thst she never told a soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Great Grandmother was a patient there around 1935 or 1940 till her death there probably in the early60,s Her name is Rosa Branham I presume she is buried in the Hospital
    Cemetary. They make it so hard to get records, X rays or any other records, but they can sell them to the general public.

    ReplyDelete