Monday, October 8, 2012

Theresa's Movie Challenge Week 1

I'm one week into my annual challenge of seeing how many horror movies I can cram into the month of October...just one way I personally stretch out the Halloween holiday for all its worth! I have plans of seeing some awesome new films coming out in the theater, like Paranormal Activity 4 and Sinister, but until then, I'm making do with what I can find on Netflix. Unfortunately, I'm not doing that great, lol.  Here's the list of all THREE horror films that I managed to shove into my schedule:

1. My first film selection was 11:11:11 The Prophecy.  I'm a sucker for a good end of days flick, and I thought this one would live up to my expectations, especially with its combined strong biblical references AND pop culture phenomena of the 11:11 theory.  I became acquainted with the "eleveners" several years ago through my association with the different paranormal message boards I frequent.  The movie was loosely based on this, taking the symbolism much further in order to create the story line...which was awesome until the last 20 minutes or so.  What was a serious movie quickly turned into a carnival as these 11:11 beings emerged for their various cinematic close-ups.  It was silly and sophomoric, and had a not-so-suprising twist at the end.  Still, I'd give it 2.5 outta 5 stars.

2. The second film I watched was actually MEANT to be silly...I Sell The Dead.  This movie chronicles the life and times of a body snatcher, who, after an interesting experience one evening, finds himself and his partner is a very specialized line of work.  Being the macabre person I am, I always did enjoy the tales of body snatching, and sometimes murder, that was common practice in order to provide fresh cadavers for Victorian medical research...and the paranormal twists were delightfully absurd.  While I enjoyed this movie, I have absolutely no idea who the intended audience was...it was too gruesome for the younger crowd, yet too silly for the usual horror buff.

3. My latest film was The Inn Keepers.  I liked this one a lot because it was about history and haunts...my two favorite things.  Two employees are spending their last weekend at a haunted hotel before it closes, and are taking advantage of the opportunity in order to obtain evidence of its resident ghost, a scorned bride who killed herself on her wedding day.  Things end badly, and the ending just seemed unfinished, and tried too hard to be poingnant and thought-provoking, lol.  Also, the plot really didn't come together, and there were a lot of unanswered questions and confusion as to just what the heck was going on.  When a movie provides a cool backstory, I expect that backstory to come together in a neat, tidy little package, but this one fell short.

Well, there you have it.  You have my selections for Week 1 of my challenge.  I want to hear from YOU, though!  What scary movies do you recommend I see, and what have you been watching recently?  I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to cinematic entertainment, but I do prefer my horror to be in the supernatural/ghost genre, and contain little to no gore.  So give me suggestions, please!  Oh, and its a total plus if these suggestions can be found on Netflix, lol!

Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments section, or on Theresa's Haunted History FaceBook!

No comments:

Post a Comment