Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Book Review for Dry Fork Campfire Tales


Title: Dry Fork Campfire Tales: Hauntings in the Dry Fork Area of WV
Author: Lee Allan Nelson
Published: by CreateSpace (April 2013)
Amazon Purchase Info, also available on Kindle

Most of you have probably heard me brag about my paranormal library and know that I love, love, love books on regional ghost stories.  This short little compendium, written by a local author, is an excellent addition to my collection!


At a mere 54 pages, this book manages to pack in a ton of interesting tales from the Dry Fork area of Tucker and Randolph Counties.  You'll find a few famous locations, such as Graceland and Halliehurst mansions on the campus of Davis and Elkins, at least one classic historic folktale (Darkie's Knob/Darkish Knob), and many others of a more personal nature that you won't find published anywhere else!  There's even a UFO tale if that's more to your interests.


As with other self-published books, there are some editing issues, but for the most part, this is a well-written and entertaining collection pertaining to my favorite subject.  History combines with folklore to produce some really great snippets of West Virginia culture in an area already rich in both history and folklore....as well as natural beauty.  My personal favorite tales came from the renowned Canaan Valley resort...tales that I've been diligently trying to verify a little more information on before hopefully sharing them here with you!

I definitely recommend picking up your own copy for a quick, spooky read...and keep an eye out for this author's other books!  See below for website:


Halloween Books by Lee Allan Nelson


2 comments:

  1. THANKS FOR INFO!! CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS ONE. MY BOYFRIEND LIVES IN CANAAN SO WHEN I'M NOT WORKING HERE IN HUNTINGTON I'M THERE. PAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete